Thursday, March 1, 2018

Self Promo Site


I recently made a self promo website for this Web and Social Media Production Class.

A portfolio page contains eight productions I have produced. Of these, I selected ones that show the diversity of my skill set (live-action short film, 3d motion graphic, 2d motion graphic short, radio drama, radio news sample, voice acting, abstract/absurd edit, a motion graphic music visualizer, and an example of rotoscoping). This is important as it shows an employer that I am interested and trained in various disciplines from audio production, news, film, and animation. 

The contact page has linked icons to my "professional" social media accounts (twitter and blogger) as well as hyperlinked email and cell number. These elements make the website more user friendly. If an  employer tried to click on an icon to view my twitter and it didn't work smoothly, he might just disregard the entire prospect of hiring me right then and there. It's important that the website is fully integrated as much as possible to the contacts and web content contained in the site for ease of user access. We all get mad when we are forced to use poorly designed websites, so imagine if someone you were looking to hire annoyed you by not properly linking their social media icons? You'd probably not be giving them a call (you can't, since you're on a smart phone viewing the site and the number does not instantly open in your dialing screen, and copy pasting is still too tedious on a mobile device).

The process of making the site was simple thanks to the very convenient sample site folder supplied to me. By looking at an already completed website and playing around with it, I was able to quickly develop an intuition to how the Dreamweaver application worked and also a rudimentary understanding of the code. The process of embedding Vimeo content was easy, as a simple HTML embed code provided by Vimeo is entered in a line of code in the page.
I learned the importance of file organization by seeing the errors caused by unlinked images and elements in Dreamweaver. By frequently checking the live view of the site in my browser, I was able to quickly identify broken elements that appeared normal in the code but did link to the specific image I wanted. After a few hours of working in Dreamweaver I began to start using the code to navigate through elements instead of the split view, in order to familiarize myself with the more efficient method of web design.


Overall, this project was informative and has left me more inclined to learn web design. At first, the process seemed intimidating but working with the split view in Dreamweaver served as good training wheels. While it was easy to learn some of the more straightforward commands there was still a great deal of confusion in getting the elements where and how I wanted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment